Need a last minute gift for a special homeowner on your list? We asked some of our readers to tell us their favorite gifts they’ve received over the years that are specifically for their homes:
1) Programmable thermostat – The gift that continues to give throughout the year. A programmable thermostat enables a homeowner to automatically adjust the home’s temperature to a more comfortable setting at times when people will be there, and then switch to a more energy efficient temperature when inhabitants are sleeping or out of the house. The end result is a year full of energy savings for your giftee.
2) Digital, mountable weather station – These devices not only tell you the current temperature inside and outside your home, but can give a quick and general weather forecast for the day, which is nice if you’re in a hurry.
3) Hand-crank emergency radio – Every homeowner has, or will, lose power at some point in their homeowning lives. For extended outages, particularly those during poor weather events, a hand-crank radio can be invaluable. The radio is powered by good old-fashioned elbow grease – crank the handle for a minute and get usually an hour of power. Some even include built-in flashlights and cell phone chargers.
4) Gardening kit – Growing your own food isn’t just cost-effective, it’s healthy too. Put together a kit with things like gardening gloves, pots, a shovel, trowel, seeds and a bag of organic fertilizer.
5) Leaf blower – This is a big ticket item, but AHAA members who live in neighborhoods with lots of trees say they will never forget the generous folks that gifted their leaf blowers.
Best wishes for a wonderful holiday season from AHAA!